Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Finding Our Groove

I am so proud of Justin...he has made what could have been such a difficult situation as simple as I could have ever hoped for...

When they wheeled him back into his recovery room on the day surgery floor Friday afternoon, my heart just broke when I saw how much pain he was in.  It just drives home how helpless one feels when those we love are hurting and there is nothing that can be done to take their pain away.  I just stood beside his bed stroking his head... I couldn't bear to be any further away...

We were incredibly blessed to have wonderful nurses taking care of Justin.  They were concerned with the amount of pain he was in and they gave him an extra shot of morphine which carried him through the remainder of the afternoon. With that shot he became the comedic relief  on the floor and kept everyone giggling all afternoon :)  I kept joking that I wanted to videotape some of his antics, otherwise he may not believe me when I told him what he was saying lol!  We did learn though that the additional pain he was experiencing was due to the fact that they had to take a graft from his hamstring to create a new ACL.  Apparently there was no ACL left in his knee to be able to reattach...who knew that's how they did that?!

Now here we are 4 days after surgery and we are finding our groove.  We've figured out what configuration of pillows are most comfortable for him to be able to chill on the couch or be able to rest in bed.  We've discovered that he has to eat something before taking his meds or else his stomach does flip flops. We've realized that the bag of corn we're using as an ice pack stays much colder if it's left outside rather than in the fridge freezer lol! We've just sort of slipped into our groove and are doing this together, making it work...

We were back at the hospital to have his dressings changed this morning, we'll be back there next week to get the staples taken out.  And we'll be regulars in the physio dept over the next few months as he begins the road to gaining full mobility back in his knee.  

I've been very blessed to have been able to be off work for the past few days and just be at home with my hubby...tomorrow I will go back to work - not because I want to, I'd much rather be here with him!  But for tonight, the late night snacks are ready in the fridge to accompany the meds throughout the night and it's almost time for bed...hopefully we'll be able to sleep for several hours in a row!  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment