Monday, January 7, 2013

nothin' to it.... Cinnamon Baked French Toast

A few years ago I found a recipe for an overnight French Toast Bake that looked delicious.  My parents were coming for the weekend and I thought it would make for an easy breakfast for us.  While it was a leisurely morning, that particular recipe was very sweet and none of us could eat more than a small piece...needless to say a large part of the pan got tossed later that week.

This year for Christmas morning I wanted to try something that would be just as easy as the first French Toast  Bake I'd made, but knew it had to be much easier on the dental bill :) I found this recipe on Pinterest and it was even better than I'd expected.  It was incredibly easy to make and tasted  fabulous! I'll definitely be making this again :)

I adapted this recipe from Lovin' Fom the Oven, I made 3/4 of the recipe in a bar pan and doubled the crumble mixture.


Cinnamon Baked French Toast

Ingredients

  • 1 loaf bread (I used regular sandwich bread)
  • 8 whole eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla
  • 1/2 cup AP flour
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick cold butter, cubed (1/2cup)

Instructions

  1. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
  2. Tear the bread into chunks and place them in the greased pan.
  3. Mix together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
  4. In another bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add the butter and mix until the batter comes somewhat together, like little pebbles. Store in a plastic bag in the fridge.
  5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  6. Take your pan with the soaking bread inside and sprinkle crumb mixture on top.
  7. If you like soggier french toast, bake for 45 minutes. For a firmer and less liquid-y french toast, bake for an hour.
  8. Serve warm with maple syrup and butter, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment