Friday, October 21, 2011

Saltine Toffee...and a disclaimer

I've taken on a Christmas project at work that perhaps will have me admitted... lol not quite but I'm excited to see how it all comes together!  More details will follow in the coming weeks :)

As I've been doing my "research" for this project, I've tried out a few new recipes...some have been "meh" and I won't likely use them, but I've stumbled across a couple via Pinterest that I think are just deadly and will be permanent additions to my recipe book.  I love how easy this one was to whip up, it didn't take much time at all, and it was all ingredients I already had in my kitchen.  I should say that, at least for me, this Saltine Toffee recipe should have come with a disclaimer lol!  For those of us who have diminishing self control when something sweet is close by, these goodies are rather addictive...

                                                              Saltine Toffee
toffee
Source Photo
Ingredients:
40 saltine crackers (or however many you need to make a single layer on your cookie sheet, I think my pan fit 35 crackers)
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans/walnuts, if desired (I like it without)





Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheet with foil (I used parchment paper) and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Line cookie sheet with saltine crackers in single layer.
In a saucepan combine the sugar and the butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread t cover crackers completely.
Bake at 400 degrees for 5 to 6 minutes, or until toffee is bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes. (I actually spread the chocolate chips and put it back in the over for two minutes or so, just to speed things up a bit) Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts, if desired. Cool completely and break into pieces (I cut it with a pizza roller, worked fabulous!)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! That look like an awesome recipe! I'll probably have to try it in the near future!

    ReplyDelete