Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Countdown Has Begun....

Remember when you were a little kid and you counted down to something big by the number of "sleeps"?  I was totally that kid... I remember being in my grandma's kitchen crossing off the days on the calendar and counting how many "sleeps" until whatever I was waiting for...

Well I'm 30 and I'll admit that I still countdown to major events by "sleeps" lol!  I doubt I'll ever change in this area... I hope I don't actually... I want to giggle with my kids some day over how many "sleeps" until their birthday or family holidays or their first hockey game :)

Our past two summers have been filled with lots of hiking all leading up to hiking the West Coast Trail.  Both have been amazing summers and one day we plan to go back and hike the Trail a third time... but this year's holiday will be a little different, still lots of walking, but without 35lbs on my back.  Justin is playing in the World Police & Fire games for the second time and this year the big event in New York City!  (These games are actually the second largest sporting event next to the Summer Olympics!  Police officers and fire fighters from 85 countries will proudly represent their homeland.)  He played two years ago when the Games were in Vancouver, BC and for the past two years we have been talking, dreaming and planning to be a part of the 2011 Games. This year's games will also have extra significance as it will be the 10th anniversary of the 9-11 attacks, where so many officers and firefighters gave their lives.

And now we are only 41 sleeps away from getting on a plane and writing another chapter of our adventures together!  We are so excited  to see NYC (and DC as we're taking a little jaunt down there by train, very excited for that too!) and take in the sights and sounds of the big city...

As far as we know, Justin is the only officer from Medicine Hat participating in NYC so he's been able to raise some awareness for the Games through the media.  This morning he was interviewed on my96, a local radio station's morning show as well as being featured in the newspaper last week.  I'm so proud of him and so excited to watch him play in just over a month!!!

(click on the photo below to see a larger view of Justin's article)

2 comments:

  1. Good thing his knee is all healed up!! Best wishes for you both and enjoy New York City (and DC) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that Rachelle! We are so grateful that this is even a possibility for him :)

    ReplyDelete