Wednesday, July 20, 2011

It's More Than Just a Word...


It's a cool morning here on the Prairies...the rain overnight brought a bit of a break from the heat we've been enjoying for the past few days.  The forecast says the sun will return this afternoon, but gray mornings like this often leave me feeling very reflective...and today is no exception.

I came across this image on Pinterest yesterday (yes I am fully addicted to Pinterest and not afraid to admit it lol!) and it definitely made me stop and think...

Home.  What comes to mind when you hear the word home?  How do you define home?  Is it a physical locale like your house or apartment or the city/town where you live? Or is it a person or people that make someplace home?

For me, my definition of home has always leaned to a place.  Our family moved several times while I was growing up and home was always where my stuff was.  As soon as the boxes containing my belongings were placed in my bedroom I would start to unpack and within a few hours my room would be all set up.  I think my parents quickly caught on that I was useless to help any place else in the house until my room was settled...just one of those silly quirky things that makes me me...and even when years later I'd pack up some of that "stuff" and move it to the other side of the globe, my apartment there was home cause that is where my stuff was.

I think back to the months before Justin and I were married.  I so struggled because I went between two places every day: I slept and got ready for the day in my apartment (a space I was grateful for, but never really did feel like it was home) but spent many of my non working hours at Justin's condo.  I felt like I lived in two places but neither was truly home.  It wasn't until after we were married that the seed of home being the person I was with, began to take root.

When we were so blessed to buy our first home together almost a year ago now, it was the first time in three years I truly felt like I was home, in every sense of the word (at least with how I'm wired anyways).  Our house is not just a house, but truly our home, the place where my heart and my feet rest.  I've said it many times before, it is the place I look forward to going at the end of the day... it's the place I want to be more than anywhere else on the planet...it's the place where I can be 110% me - nerdy, quirky, thoughtful, quiet...But even more than that, it is home because that is where the love of my life is...and I was reminded of that in a conversation I had with a dear friend of mine last week.  She said "You will always be home whenever the two of you are together - we have always made our house a home - because home is my hubby and me!"

I'm so grateful that I have a home, not just a location to call home, but someone to be home with...
I'm sure I'll always have that need to have a location to identify with, but perhaps my definition has begun to expand...it puts a little different spin on things...and I'm ok with that ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment