Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Therapy... Part 3

I think the worst part about being sick was that even though I was home, I didn't have the energy to pull out my sewing machine & quilt...  thank goodness I recovered before the end of the weekend - a long weekend is a terrible thing to waste on being sick!

So let me back track a bit here:
The last time I blogged about this quilt, I nearly had all three strips pieced together.  During last week I was able to get all three strips finished as well as sew in the solid pieces that would go in-between those strips, completing the majority of this project. All that was left was to sew the border fabric on and figure out how to attach a binding.  This was my progress at that point:

This bottom shot is me playing around with the fabrics I was considering for the border

Next came the process of actually deciding what fabrics would make up the border and the actually attaching them... it looked a little like this:


The final piece in the sewing part of the puzzle was to decide if I was just going to rag the edges or if I was going to attempt to put on a binding.  The more I looked at it, the more convinced I was that it needed to have a binding in order to have that "finished" look.  A friend of mine said she was more than willing to help me, but kept encouraging me that it wasn't as difficult as I was thinking and to give it a try.  So thanks to her, youtube and some great tutorials and a website that showed me how to hand stitch the binding onto the back, I have officially completed my first quilt binding... and it turned out pretty sweet if I do say so myself lol!

Getting the hang of hiding my binding seam with hand stitches

I guess the corners aren't as tough as I was making them out to be in my head lol!

The binding is complete!  Definitely made the right choice...

So now there's just one thing left!  Tonight I'm hoping to clip it all and wash it a few times to fluff up those fringes and then this piece will be ready to go to it's new home!  I'm SO pleased with how this has all come together....



No comments:

Post a Comment